Click Here for Map

Before 1974, Strongylos was a mixed village situated in the middle of the Mesaoria/Mesarya plain, located four kilometers east of Assia/Paşaköy. Strongylos means “circular or round” in Greek. In 1958 Turkish Cypriots adopted an alternative name Yuvarlak, also meaning “circular.” The name, however, may have derogatory connotations in Turkish, and so villagers soon renamed the village Turunçlu, meaning “Seville oranges,” possibly choosing this name because of orange’s round shape. 
Historical Population:

As can be seen from the chart above, in the Ottoman census of 1831, the village was a mixed village, with Muslims (Turkish Cypriots) constituting the majority. Throughout the British period the village continued to be a mixed village. During the first half of the twentieth century, the village’s population steadly increased from 292 in 1901 to 390 in 1960. All this time Turkish Cypriots constituted the majority in the village.


No one was displaced during the violent period of 1963-1964. However in August 1974, all of the village’s Greek Cypriot inhabitants were displaced. Currently, like the rest of the displaced Greek Cypriots, the Greek Cypriots of Strongylos are scattered throughout the island’s south, with large pockets in towns. The number of the Strongylos Greek Cypriots who were displaced in 1974 was around 130 (126 in the 1960 census).

Current Inhabitants:

Currently Strongylos is primarily inhabited by its original villagers. The village was not used for the resettlement of displaced Turkish Cypriots. The 2006 Turkish Cypriot census puts the village’s population at 245.  

Books and Reports: