Click Here for Map

Koma tou Gialou/Kumyalı is a village located on the Karpasia/Karpaz peninsula, fourteen kilometers southwest of Yialousa/Yeni Erenköy(205) village, overlooking the south coast. Before 1974, this village was inhabited solely by Greek Cypriots. It is said that Koma tou Gialou means “village by the sea” in Greek. The Turkish name Kumyalık (Komialik in 1891 census) has been in use since the Ottoman period. Turkish Cypriots slightly changed the latter name to Kumyalı in 1975 which literally means “waterside residence made out of sand.”  
Historical Population

As may be seen from the chart above, in the Ottoman census of 1831, the village was predominantly inhabited by Christians, with only seven male Muslims listed in the record. At the turn of the century there were only one or two Muslim inhabitants remaining in the village. Although the population of the village showed a slight increase during the first half of the 20th century, a significant drop was recorded after 1946.


Most of the village’s inhabitants were displaced in 1974. They fled in August 1974 from the advancing Turkish army to the southern part of the island. However, a large number of persons attempted to remain, numbering 147 in reports from October 1975. Those who stayed in the village were enclaved there until September 1977, when they were transferred to the southern part of the divide. Currently, like the rest of the displaced Greek Cypriots, the villagers of Koma tou Gialou are scattered throughout the island’s south, with small pockets in towns. Many of them settled in Margi(067) village in the southern Nicosia district. The number of Greek Cypriots from this village who were displaced after the 1974 war was around 820 (818 in 1973 census).

Current Inhabitants:

This village was mainly used for the resettlement of displaced Turkish Cypriots from various Paphos villages, such as Fasoula(303), Faliea(301), Stavrokonnou(338), Axylou(297) and Akoursos(288). There are also some people from Turkey who settled in the village between 1976 and 1977, mostly from the Adana and Gaziantep provinces of southern Turkey. According to the 2006 census the population of the village was 666. Over the last ten years, Turkish Cypriots from elsewhere in the island’s north and Turkish Cypriot returnees from abroad have bought property, built houses, and settled here.  

Books and Reports: