Click Here for Map

This village lies seven miles east of Cape Kormakiti and two miles northeast of the Kormakiti/Koruçam village. It is situated on the northern coast of the Kyrenia district. The origin of the name is obscure, Jack Goodwin suggests that the village may have been named after its first inhabitant, a woman name “Orka.” The current name Kayalar was adopted by Turkish Cypriots after 1974. It means “Rocks.” The village is relatively “new,” as there is no mention of it during the Ottoman period. 
Historical Population

As can be seen from the chart above, in the British census of 1891, Christians constituted the only inhabitants of the village. There is a brief appearance of some Muslims in the 1921 census, but these were probably seasonal laborers who happened to be in the village when the census was carried out. Although the population of the village showed a steady increase during the first half of the twentieth century, a slight drop was later recorded, from 182 in 1946 to 139 in 1960.


All of the village’s inhabitants were displaced in 1974, when between July and August 1974 they fled from the advancing Turkish army to the southern part of the island. Currently, like the rest of the displaced Greek Cypriots, the Greek Cypriots of Orga are scattered throughout the island’s south, with small pockets in towns. The number of Orga Greek Cypriots who were displaced in 1974 is estimated to be 100 (98 in 1973).

Current Inhabitants:

This village was used for the settlement of Turkish nationals from Turkey in 1975, mainly from the Çarşamba region in northern Turkey on the Black Sea coast. According to the 2006 census the population of the village was 181. During the last ten years, many Turkish Cypriots and European citizens have also bought property and settled in the vicinity of the village. It is important to note that Orga was already a popular spot for some British retirees in the 1960s and that most of these maintained their houses in the village after the 1974 war.  

Books and Reports: