Click Here for Map

Krini (known to Turkish Cypriots as Kırnı) is situated on the southern slopes of the Five Finger mountains, only three miles from the Kyrenia pass. This village was always exclusively inhabited by Turkish Cypriots. The name Krini means “spring or fountain” in Greek. In 1958 Turkish Cypriots invented the alternative name “Pınarbaşı,” meaning “headspring.” 
Historical Population

As may be seen from the chart above, the village’s population since 1831 has always been primarily Muslim (Turkish Cypriot). At the turn of the century there were some few Christians (Greek Cypriots) also living in the village. Its population steadily increased from 157 in 1891 to 277 in 1960.


From its original population no one was displaced; however, the village served as a reception centre for many displaced Turkish Cypriots in 1964. From 1964 to 1974, it was administratively part of the Turkish Cypriot enclave of Nicosia. According to geographer Richard Patrick, in 1971, there were approximately 250 displaced Turkish Cypriots residing in the village. The majority of those staying there came from Agioi Iliofotoi/Zeytinlik(003), Skylloura/Yılmazköy(096), Vasileia/Karşıyaka(252), Deneia(027) and Kazafani/Ozanköy(229) villages.

Current Inhabitants:

Currently the village is mainly inhabited by its original villagers. However, during the last ten years, many Turkish Cypriots from Nicosia and some Turkish Cypriot returnees from the United Kingdom have bought property and settled there. The 2006 census puts the village’s population at 484.  

Books and Reports: