Click Here for Map

Ftericha, or Phteryka, is situated on the northern slopes of the western part of the Five Finger mountains, only two miles southeast of Karavas (Alsancak) and five miles west of the town of Kyrenia. Ftericha was always exclusively inhabited by Greek Cypriots. The name means “large farm” in Greek. However, the village’s name was changed to “Ilgaz” in 1975 by Turkish Cypriots, after a mountain in Turkey. 

Historical Population

As can be seen from the chart above, the village was always inhabited exclusively by Greek Cypriots. During the first half of the twentieth century its population shows a small increase, from 105 in 1901 to 125 in 1946. However, for reasons that are not clear, its population declined to 121 persons in 1960.


All of the village’s inhabitants were displaced in July 1974. Currently, like the rest of the displaced Greek Cypriots, the Greek Cypriots of Ftericha are scattered throughout the island’s south. The displaced population of Ftericha can be estimated to be around 50, since its Greek Cypriot population was 51 in 1973.

Current Inhabitants:

Following the displacement of the Greek Cypriot inhabitants of the village in 1974, the village was repopulated by Turkish families from different parts of Turkey. There are also some displaced Turkish Cypriots from the Limassol district who currently live there. Over the last twenty years, many European citizens and wealthy Turkish Cypriots from elsewhere in the island’s north have bought property and built summer houses here. The 2006 census puts the de jure population of the village at 75, but during the holiday seasons this number can go up to well over 150. 

Books and Reports: