Click Here for Map

Margi is a village situated on the northeast foothills of the Troodos mountains, ten kilometers west of Dali and northwest of Kotsiatis/Koçyatağı. The origin of the name derives from a type of soil called “margon.” In 1958, Turkish Cypriots adopted a new name, Küçük Köy, meaning “the little village.” 
Historical Population:

The village was always predominantly inhabited by Turkish Cypriots. Although at various periods some Greek Cypriots were registered as living in the village, census records also show that these were mostly males, so it could be easily assumed that they were there to work. Even though the population fluctuated in the first decades of the twentieth century, it increased steadily from 60 in 1901 to 86 in 1960. In 1960 Turkish Cypriots constituted the sole inhabitants of the village.


No one was displaced during the intercommunal strife of the late 1950s and 1960s. However, the village served as a reception center for displaced Turkish Cypriots who fled from the surrounding villages. Richard Patrick recorded that in 1971 there were still 12 displaced persons living in the village, mainly inhabitants of Agios Sozomenos/Arpalık(008). The second conflict-related displacement took place in the wake of the 1974 war, when UNFICYP evacuated all the Turkish Cypriots of the village in fall 1975 and transferred them to the Turkish-controlled areas north of the Green Line.

Current Inhabitants:

Since 1975, the village has been inhabited by displaced Greek Cypriots, mainly those who were from Koma tou Gialou/Kumyalı in the Karpasia peninsula. The 2001 census put the village’s population at 100.


Books and Reports: