Click Here for Map

Loutros is a small village located in the Tylliria region of the Nicosia district, four kilometers south of the ruins of Vouni Palace. Loutros means “bath” in Greek. The Ottoman name of the village was Litro. In 1975, Turkish Cypriots changed the name to Bademliköy, meaning “village with almonds.” 
Historical Population:

As can be seen from the chart above, in the Ottoman census of 1831, Christians (Greek Cypriots) constituted the sole inhabitants of the village. Throughout the British period the population of the village increased significantly, rising from 202 in 1891 to 394 in 1960.


In August 1974, the Greek Cypriots fled the village from the advancing Turkish army. Currently, like most of the displaced Greek Cypriots, the Greek Cypriots of Loutros are scattered throughout the island’s south, with large pockets in towns. The number of the Loutros Greek Cypriots who were displaced in 1974 was approximately 370 (364 in the 1973 census).

Current Inhabitants:

Today the village is mainly inhabited by Turkish Cypriots from Xerovounos/Kurutepe(106). However, there are also a small number of displaced Turkish Cypriots from Mandria/Yeşilova(322) and Tera/Çakırlar(339), in the Paphos district, as well as quite a few Turkish nationals ( farmers), primarily from the Adana and Ağrı provinces. All of these settled in the village in the late 1970s. The 2006 Turkish Cypriot census puts the village’s population at 106.  

Books and Reports: