Click Here for Map

Kanlıköy is a village situated northwest of the small town of Geunyeli/Gönyeli. Due to the recent construction boom and suburbanization, the village and Gönyeli municipality have merged together. Kanlıköy means “village with blood” and could also mean “village with a blood feud.” Since the name is Turkish, Turkish Cypriots kept the name after 1974 and did not adopt a new name. The village is quite a new village, most probably established in the last decades of the Ottoman period as a çiftlik (farm). It was not listed as a village until the 1946 British census. Kitchener’s map of 1883 shows a farm with three or four buildings situated where the current village is located. He also noted that the farm was called Kanlı Mustafa Çiftliği. Therefore we can safely assume that the name of the village derived from the landlord’s nickname, Kanlı (bloody).  
Historical Population:

Since the British period, Kanlıköy has been inhabited solely by Turkish Cypriots. The population of the settlement increased steadily from 87 in 1946 to 101 in 1960.


No one was displaced from this settlement during the intercommunal strife of the 1960s. However, during this period, the village served as a reception center for many displaced Turkish Cypriot who fled from nearby villages. Richard Patrick recorded 76 displaced Turkish Cypriots still residing in Kanlıköy in 1971. The displaced Turkish Cypriots mainly came from Dyo Potamoi/İkidere(028) and from the Nicosia suburbs.

Current Inhabitants:

Kanlıköy is currently largely inhabited by its original inhabitants. For the last twenty years, Turkish Cypriots from elsewhere in the north, especially those working as civil servants in Nicosia, have also settled in the village because of its proximity to the capital. The last Turkish Cypriot census of 2006 put the village’s population at 207.  

Books and Reports: