Click Here for Map

Ampelikou/Bağlıköy is a village located on the northern foothills of the Troodos mountains, four kilometers southwest of Xeros and Karavostasi/Gemikonağı and overlooking Morphou/Güzelyurt bay. Ampelikou means “vineyards” in Greek. In 1958, Turkish Cypriots adopted Bağlıköy as an alternative Turkish name. It also means “village with a vineyard”
Historical Population:

Until 1963, the village was a mixed one. Turkish Cypriots (Muslims) always constituted the majority. As may be seen from the chart above, in the Ottoman census of 1831, the Muslim (Turkish Cypriots) share of the population was almost 83%. In 1891 their percentage increased to 91%. However, throughout the first half of the twentieth century, the Greek Cypriot population showed a better performance and increased from 17% in 1891 to 26.5% in 1946. By 1960, however, their numbers declined drastically, dropping from 170 (1946) persons to only 63, constituting just 11% of the total village’s population.


It is important to note that some of the Ampelikou/Bağlıköy Greek Cypriots began to leave the village as early as the 1950s because of tensions between the communities. They all eventually left in December 1963. Conversely, none of the Turkish Cypriot villagers were displaced during the intercommunal fighting of 1964. Instead, the village became a reception center for displaced Turkish Cypriots. Richard Patrick recorded 31 displaced Turkish Cypriots still living in the village in 1971. According to this author, the population of the village in 1971 was 444. The majority of these displaced persons came from nearby villages such as Xero and Karavostasi/Gemikonağı(045).

Current Inhabitants:

Currently the village is inhabited by its original Turkish Cypriot inhabitants. In addition, there are a few Cypriot/British families with summer houses located in the village. The 2006 census puts the village’s population at 222.  

Books and Reports: