Click Here for Map

Agios Theodoros was a Turkish Cypriot village situated in the Tylliria/Dillirga region, two kilometers from the village of Piyenia. Agios Theodoros means “Saint Theodore” in Greek. Turkish Cypriots adopted the alternative name of Bozdağ in 1959, literally meaning “Dun-Colored Mountain.”
 Historical Population:

From 1891 to 1960, the village was solely inhabited by Turkish Cypriots. Although the population fluctuated in the first decades of the 20th century, it increased steadily from 162 in 1891 to 232 in 1960.


All the Turkish Cypriot inhabitants of Agios Theodoros/Bozdağ were displaced in 1964. The village was evacuated by UNFICYP in August 1964 when the area was under attack by General Grivas and his Greek Cypriot National Guard during the Tylliria Battle. Most of the Turkish Cypriots of Agios Theodoros/Bozdağ sought refuge in the Turkish Cypriot enclaves of Kokkina/Erenköy(050) and Limnitis/Yeşilırmak(061). They remained in those villages until 1976 when they were once again moved, this time to the Turkish-controlled part of the island, to Yialousa/Yenierenköy(205), a village in the Karpasia/Karpaz peninsula. Some of the Agios Theodoros/Bozdağ villagers chose to stay in Limnitis/Yeşilırmak(061), while others moved to Nicosia(074).

Current Inhabitants:

The village has remained abandoned since 1964; all of its houses and buildings are in ruins.


Books and Reports: