Click Here for Map

Agios Nikolaos, is a former village located four kilometers southeast of Lefka/Lefke and immediately northwest of Skouriotissa Mine . Turkish Cypriots adopted the alternative name Yamaç in 1975, meaning “cliff.” This deserted village is situated within the buffer zone.
Historical Population:

In 1831, the village was mixed. This situation changed after the British arrived. Throughout the first half of the twentieth century, the Greek Cypriot population of the village increased steadily from 23 in 1891 to 127 in 1946. There was a sharp declined recorded in 1960 (from 132 in 1946 to 67 in 1960.


The first conflict-related displacement took place in August 1974, when all the Greek Cypriots of the village fled from the advancing Turkish army. The number of the Greek Cypriots displaced from Agios Nikolaos was approximately 65 (62 in 1973).

Current Inhabitants:

The village is deserted and in ruins. It is a semi-militarized location situated in the buffer zone.  

Books and Reports: